Heart Hand Pies
You will need:
- One 2-1/2 inch heart cookie cutter
- 2 cups Kodiak Cakes Buttermilk Flapjack and Waffle Mix
- 3/4 cup cold butter, diced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 10 teaspoons raspberry jam
- 1-1/2 teaspoon milk plus additional for brushing
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon pink or red food coloring
- Make the dough: Combine Kodiak Cakes Mix, salt and sugar in a bowl and mix. Add cold, diced butter and cut butter into the dough with a fork or your fingers until a crumbly dough forms. (You can also use a food processor for this step to make it easier). Add ice water and mix until dough forms together. Roll into a ball.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lightly dust a work surface with flour. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a 13-inch diameter circle. Cut 20 hearts into the pie dough using a 2 1/2-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter.
- Use a spatula to transfer 10 of the hearts to the baking sheet. Spoon 1 tsp. jam onto the center of each of the 10 hearts. Spread the jam across the dough, leaving a 1/3-inch border. Lightly brush the borders with milk. Transfer the remaining 10 pieces of pie dough to top the jam-covered hearts, being sure the edges line up. Use the tines of a fork to seal the edges of the dough.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until the tarts are golden brown around the edges with the tops just beginning to brown. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Make the frosting in a bowl by whisking together the powdered sugar, butter, milk, and food coloring until creamy and smooth. Spread the frosting over the tarts.