Heart Shaped Hand Pies
- 239 Calories
- 6g Protein
- 21g Carbs
Valentine's Day is here and so is this recipe for Heart Shaped Hand Pies. These adorable pastries are made using Kodiak Cakes Buttermilk Power Cakes and filled with raspberry jam that makes them taste just as fantastic as they look. Great as a gift or as a romantic dessert to enjoy with your special someone, this treat will make this Valentine's Day even more special.
You will need:
- One 2-1/2 inch heart cookie cutter
- 2 cups Kodiak Cakes Buttermilk Power Cakes Flapjack and Waffle Mix
- 3/4 cup cold butter, diced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 10 teaspoons raspberry jam
- 1-1/2 teaspoon milk plus additional for brushing
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon pink or red food coloring
- Make the dough: Combine Kodiak Cakes Mix, salt and sugar in a bowl and mix. Add cold, diced butter and cut butter into the dough with a fork or your fingers until a crumbly dough forms. (You can also use a food processor for this step to make it easier). Add ice water and mix until dough forms together. Roll into a ball.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lightly dust a work surface with flour. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a 13-inch diameter circle. Cut 20 hearts into the pie dough using a 2 1/2-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter.
- Use a spatula to transfer 10 of the hearts to the baking sheet. Spoon 1 tsp. jam onto the center of each of the 10 hearts. Spread the jam across the dough, leaving a 1/3-inch border. Lightly brush the borders with milk. Transfer the remaining 10 pieces of pie dough to top the jam-covered hearts, being sure the edges line up. Use the tines of a fork to seal the edges of the dough.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until the tarts are golden brown around the edges with the tops just beginning to brown. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Make the frosting in a bowl by whisking together the powdered sugar, butter, milk, and food coloring until creamy and smooth. Spread the frosting over the tarts.