Beef Stew with Cornbread Dumplings
- 408 Calories
- 30g Carbs
Recipe provided by Live Laugh Yum
- 1lb grass-fed beef stew meat, cubed
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 2 cups diced celery
- 16 oz baby bella mushrooms, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cups dry red wine
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon corn starch + 2 tablespoons cold water
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1-1/2 cups Kodiak Cakes Homestead Style Cornbread Mix
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup milk of choice
- Heat a pot or dutch oven pot to medium-high heat.
- Season your beef cubes generously with salt & pepper.
- Drizzle about 2 tablespoons olive oil at the bottom of your pot, and add the beef when it's hot.
- Sear the beef until browned on all sides, then remove from pot.
- Add about 1 tablespoon olive oil back to the hot pot.
- Add your garlic, onion, celery, carrot, mushrooms and half of the chopped thyme.
- Cook for about 10 minutes until vegetables are slightly cooked down, then add beef broth and red wine.
- Add the browned beef cubes back to your pot, lower the heat to low, cover the pot and let simmer lightly for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make your dumpling batter.
- In a large bowl, combine Kodiak Cakes Cornbread mix, egg, olive oil and milk your batter should be thick - set aside.
- Add your cornstarch & cold water to the stew and stir until combined and sauce gets thicker.
- Use a spoon and carefully scoop batter on top of your stew (about 1 tablespoon each dumpling, they will cook and expand) and cover.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes until dumplings are cooked through.
- Serve with the rest of your fresh thyme for garnish and enjoy!