Campfire Lemon Ricotta Waffles
- 220 Calories
- 14g Protein
- 3.5 Total Fat
- 35g Carbs
- View Full Info
When you’re exploring nature’s beauty, match the scenery with epic taste from this Campfire Lemon Ricotta Waffles recipe. Our secret? The deliciously tart and perfectly sweet taste of lemon syrup complements each hearty bite of whole grain ricotta waffles.
And for long days on the trail, you’ll be stoked to know you’re getting the fuel you need to explore further, thanks to the boost of protein in this breakfast classic. Don’t have a cast-iron waffle maker? No biggie! Simply prep these bad boys in advance using your favorite flavor of Kodiak® Flapjack & Waffle Mix and reheat on an open fire.
*Note: This recipe requires one hour to preheat a campfire, which is not included in allotted cook time but noted in the directions. You can also make it at home in your waffle iron, no campfire required!
Recipe provided by Sarah Glover
- Zest of 2 lemons, plus the juice of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 Meyer lemon
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- Coconut oil spray
- 2 egg whites, beaten until stiff peaks form
- 1 box Kodiak Buttermilk Power Cakes Flapjack & Waffle Mix
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup ricotta
- Whipped cream, to serve (optional)
- Light your fire and let it burn down for 1 hour or until you obtain medium heat.
- In a small cast-iron pot, add the lemon zest, lemon juice, and sugar. Then set the pot over the coals and boil until the sugar dissolves. Set aside to cool.
- Place a cast-iron waffle maker over the fire and let it heat up, then spray well with coconut oil.
- In a mixing bowl, lightly fold together the beaten egg white, Kodiak mix, milk, and ricotta. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Carefully open the waffle iron and spoon in some of the batter. Close the waffle iron and cook over the fire, turning occasionally, for 5–8 minutes, until golden brown. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve the ricotta waffles with a drizzle of lemon syrup and a dollop of whipping cream.
Pro Tip: Skip the campfire and make this recipe from home using a waffle iron!