- 510 Calories
- 9g Protein
- 34g Total Fat
- 45g Carbs
- View Full Info
Don’t think you can bake a drool-worthy pie? We’re here to tell you, yes you peCAN! With this step-by-step recipe, you’ll be slicing up a steamy, caramelized pecan pie with ease. The hearty texture of the whole grain base with the slightly crunchy bite of the pecans makes for the ideal dish to end your thanksgiving feast.
Recipe provided by Kayley McCabe
FOR THE CRUST:
- 2 1⁄2 cups Kodiak Buttermilk Power Cakes Mix
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 12 tablespoons (1 1⁄2 sticks) butter, cold and cut into small cubes
- 1⁄4 cup of ice water
FOR THE FILLING:
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons Kodiak Buttermilk Power Cakes Mix
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 1 egg, beaten
FOR THE CRUST:
- Place the Power Cakes mix in the food processor bowl fitted with an 's' blade.
- Add the shortening to the food processor and pulse once. Add the cubes of butter, one at a time, pulsing a few times a er the addition of each cube.
- With the processor running, drizzle in the ice water until the mixture starts to form into large clumps. Do not add too much water. Dough should not be sticky or wet, but should come together to form a nice dough.
- Divide the dough in half, wrap up one half and set aside.
- Roll the other half of dough into a ball and place it between two sheets of parchment paper. Roll to a circle that is 1 1⁄2-2” larger in circumference than your pie dish.
- Place the sheet of dough over the top of your pie dish and remove parchment paper. Press the dough in to fit the bottom and sides of the dish. There should be a little bit of dough left hanging over the edges. Trim dough so that it evenly hangs over the edge about 1⁄2”.
- Cut the dough about 1⁄2” in from the rim.
- Prick the dough all over with a fork. Line with parchment paper and fill with pie weights or beans.
- Par-bake in an oven preheated to 375°F for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and take out the parchment and pie weights.
- Set aside and make the pie filling.
FOR THE PIE FILLING:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Place the sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, eggs, vanilla, Power Cakes mix, and salt in a large bowl and whisk together until the mixture is smooth.
- Fold the pecan halves into the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the par-baked pie crust.
- Roll out the remaining dough and cut out small shapes with a cookie cutter.
- Brush the beaten egg along the rim of the pie and place the shapes all along the rim. Brush the dough shapes with the beaten egg.
- Tent the pie with tin foil.
- Bake the pie in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350°F.
- Bake for an additional 40 minutes, removing the tin foil tent after 30 minutes.
- Remove and cool to room temperature before serving.