Dutch Oven Pot Pie
- 310 Calories
- 11g Protein
- 14g Total Fat
- 38g Carbs
- View Full Info
Some of the best foods are worth the wait, and this Dutch Oven Chicken Pot Pie is worth every minute. Instead of using low-quality, bland biscuits, create your own with Kodiak Buttermilk Power Cakes Flapjack and Waffle Mix for a hearty, whole grain base. Then add the other classic staple foods found in Chicken Pot Pie and devour a dinner that tastes like your momma made it.
For the Biscuits:
- 1 1/2 cups Kodiak Cakes Buttermilk Power Cakes Flapjack & Waffle Mix
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- 1/2 cup milk
For the Pot Pie:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups (about 1 russet potato), chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 2 cups cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Whisk the Kodiak Cakes Buttermilk Power Cakes Flapjack & Waffle mix and baking powder together in a medium bowl.
- Cut the cold butter into cubes and rub it into the dry mixture using your hands or a pastry cutter, until crumbly.
- Stir in the milk until a dough is formed.
- Roll the biscuit dough out onto a floured surface until 1/2-inch thick. Fold the dough over itself, turn 90°. Repeat the rolling and folding process 3 times.
- Roll the dough once more and cut into medium circles using a round cutter or a drinking glass.
- Place the cut biscuits on a pan or plate in the fridge.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in the Dutch oven over a gas burning stove set to medium heat. *See note below
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the flour and stir in for 1 minute.
- Gradually add the milk and chicken broth, stirring in 1/2 cup at a time and bringing to a simmer after each addition. Stir constantly until thickened.
- Add the shredded chicken, frozen peas, frozen corn, fresh thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Arrange biscuits on top of the filling and brush with melted butter or milk.
- Place the Dutch oven on a sheet pan and into the oven to bake without the lid for 15-20 minutes or until biscuits are cooked through. Serve immediately.
*If you do not have a gas stove, use a separate large pot over the stove. Then, transfer to the Dutch Oven when it is time to bake the Pot Pie.