Maple Bacon Donuts
- 329 Calories
- 6g Protein
Making homemade donuts isnât as difficult as you might think! Treat yourself with this delectable Maple Bacon Donuts Recipe. This recipe is sure to please with a 100% whole grain donut that perfectly complements the maple and bacon frosting. All you have to do is make the dough, form donuts, let stand, then lightly deep-fry each donut in a small frying pan. Once fried donuts have had a chance to cool, the only thing left to do is add the perfect combination of sweet maple and savory bacon atop these delicious maple bacon donuts!
- 3/4 cup milk(heated to 115 degrees F)
- 1 packet dry active yeast(2-1/4 teaspoon total)
- 4 heaping tablespoons sugar
- 2-1/2 cups Kodiak Cakes All-Purpose Baking Mix
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1/2 teaspoon maple extract
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups powdered sugar(**ICING**)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup(**ICING**)
- 2 tablespoons water(**ICING**)
- 6 thick slices cooked bacon(reserve grease) (**TOPPING**)
- Combine yeast, 1 tablespoon of sugar and heated milk in a bowl or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix and then let sit for about 10 minutes until foamy. Add remaining sugar, plus water, salt, egg and bacon grease. Mix until well combined. With the mixer on low, slowly add Kodiak Cakes baking mix and beat until dough is smooth. Transfer to a lightly greased bowl and cover loosely with plastic wrap; set in a warm place until doubled in size(about 1-1/2 hours)
- Place dough onto lightly floured surface; roll dough out into 1/2 inch thickness. Using floured ring cutters, cut out donuts; gather and reuse scraps. Place on lined or greased baking sheets, at least 3 inches apart and cover loosely with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel; set in a warm place until doubled in size(about 45 minutes)
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a 6 quart saucepan until a deep-fry thermometer reads 325 degrees F. Transfer donuts to frying oil, working in batches of 2-3 at a time. Cook, flipping once until puffed and golden, about 3-4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a baking sheet with a wire rack; let cool completely.
- In a medium sized bowl combine icing ingredients. Dip cooled donuts in icing and immediately sprinkle with chopped bacon.