Kodiak Breakfast Cornbread
- 240 Calories
- 14g Protein
- 8g Total Fat
- 28g Carbs
- View Full Info
A savory, cornbread breakfast over an open fire at dawn is the only way to start your morning adventure. Next time you’re doing an overnight camping trip, be sure to pack the ingredients and tools to make this delicious, hearty dish that’ll fuel your journey back to civilization.
Recipe provided by Sarah Glover
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped chorizo sausage
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- handful of dinosaur kale, shredded
- 1 box Kodiak Homestead Style Cornbread Mix
- sea salt
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella three-cheese blend
- 1/3 cup chopped chives
- butter, to serve
- hot sauce, to serve
- Fire pit
- Dutch oven
- Butcher’s hook
- Light a fire and let it burn down for 1 hour or until you have a medium heat. Set a tripod over the fire and attach a Dutch oven using a butcher’s hook, so it’s sitting 12 in. above the coals.
- Add the extra-virgin olive oil to the Dutch oven, along with the chorizo, and cook for 3–5 minutes, until lightly browned. Add the garlic and kale, and cook for 5 minutes or until the kale is starting to char.
- Prepare the Kodiak Cornbread Mix according to the packet instructions. Season with salt, then pour the batter into the Dutch oven over the kale mixture. Make four indents in the batter and crack an egg into each one, then sprinkle over the cheese and the chives. Cover with the lid, shovel some coals on top and cook for 20–30 minutes, until the cornbread is cooked through.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the tripod and leave to cool a little. Slice up the cornbread and serve with lashings of butter, a few splashes or hot sauce, and hot coffee.